Preparing individuals and groups to stay alive in austere environments.
The life you save with CPR is most likely to be a loved one.
• Nearly 383,000 out-of-hospital sudden cardiac arrests occur annually, and 88 percent of cardiac arrests occur at home.
• Many victims appear healthy with no known heart disease or other risk factors.
• Sudden cardiac arrest is not the same as a heart attack.
• Sudden cardiac arrest occurs when electrical impulses in the heart become rapid or chaotic, which causes the heart to suddenly stop beating.
• A heart attack occurs when the blood supply to part of the heart muscle is blocked. A heart attack may cause cardiac arrest.